Gateway Arches in Las Vegas Makes its Debut Tonight
- The Gateway Arches cost $6.5 million and took about 7 months to construct.
- It was installed by YESCO, the 100-year-old company synonymous with Las Vegas’ most iconic signs.
- Read more Travelivery stories on our homepage
The $6.5 million project Gateway Arches, South of the Strat, began construction in March 2020 and will make its debut on November 18, 2020.
What are the Gateway Arches?
They are 80-feet-tall illuminated arches that form a gateway to downtown Las Vegas on Las Vegas Boulevard North. They are located on Las Vegas Boulevard between St. Louis and Bob Stupak avenues at the base of The STRAT Hotel, Casino & SkyPod.
The idea for the archway came in July 2016 when the Welcome to Downtown Las Vegas sign was destroyed when hit by a car.
Conceived and designed by Selbert Perkins Design and fabricated and installed by YESCO, the 100-year-old company synonymous with Las Vegas’ most iconic signs, the archway marks travelers’ official arrival into the city of Las Vegas. The arches feature an emblem hanging over the boulevard with a script “Las Vegas.”
The contract and funding from the General Fund for the project was approved by City Council on September 4, 2019. The project employed approximately 80 people from a variety of construction trades.
Fun Facts About the Gateway Arches
- One leg of the Gateway Arches weighs 18,400 pounds
- Number of lights on the arches: 13,016
- City Of Las Vegas emblem measures 20-feet x 40-feet and weighs 7,300 pounds
- The entire arch draws over 61,000 watts of power
- The arches are comprised of over 13,000 + RGB light-emitting diode (LED) pucks that are individually programmable
- Over 700 feet of fully programmable RGBW LED Flex Neon, each pixel is 4.92 inches
- Fully programmable, the color-changing sign contains more than 170 IP addresses
- Each arch leg spans 140 feet across Las Vegas Boulevard
- 900-plus LED lamps in the southern face of the hanging “Las Vegas” cabinet
- Four footings were drilled with a drill rig and are 20-feet in depth x 4-feet wide with a steel reinforced cage
Gateway Arches Compliment Showgirl Sign
A short distance from the gateway arches is the showgirl sign that features dice, poker chips stacked high enough to sit on, a roulette wheel, the city of Las Vegas logo, and 26-foot tall showgirls. Elements of the sign light up so it’s gorgeous in the daytime or at night. Bonus – this hidden gem on Las Vegas Boulevard next to The Strat is hardly ever as crowded as most of the other outdoor spots. This photography spot out-Vegases any other selfie spot in the city. The sign is located at 1810 Las Vegas Blvd. South, 89104.
Learn more about the City of Las Vegas on their website.